Sunday, February 4, 2018

1/29/18

This week was one for the books. I am loving my time here in Johnson City so much. I have to take a few moments to talk about the climate changes here. It went from snow, to sleet, to rain, to pure sunshine all in one week. AYƚDAME. Read this whole email plz:) 

Starting off the week strong with Mission Leadership Conference in Knoxville this past Tuesday. We picked up the STLs and road tripped down so that is always a party. I had the opportunity to give a training in the meeting on Sacrifice and I alluded to Genesis 22 and talked about the effects of sacrificing not only bad habits, thoughts, actions, etc, but also the good things that us missionaries have to momentarily abstain from such as family. In the conference we had great trainings by Elder Hatch one of my last companions and also Sister Kite and Monty on becoming a consecrated missionary. Elder Leavitt (my dude) and Elder Hancock introduced Smart Phones to our mission which will start tomorrow at Zone Conference. I am STOKED for this. President Pickett is absolutely amazing. He is such a great leader. He is cracking down hard on disobedience and laziness in the mission and he’s doing it the right way. He is a great teacher and powerful. We made a mission goal to have 300 baptisms this next year and he also implemented new rules to reinforce the White Handbook. I am really excited to create new goals and plans for the zone this transfer. 

We are having fun teaching for sure. Our pool is fantastic. This transfer we are shifting from focusing so much on our “model area” to more of helping out individual companionships and ministering to their needs. We already have 8 exchanges planned for this transfer and for the most part we will be going to their areas. 

I will write more about my investigators next week. We are continuing to try to build their faith in the Lord, especially using the Book of Mormon. Angela might get baptized this week. She has been out of town this whole week and will be this week so that might change. All is well:) 

Two experiences from this week that really opened my eyes. We got a call on Friday from a less active member in Bristol who had a few friends that were in the hospital and the ICU for a new born child, named Casey Watters. This family, the mother had just had Casey 10 days earlier on January 16. She was born was some rare genetic disease that was deteriorating her lungs and other things. Approaching the family and feeling the spirit of the room it was apparent that Doctors and nurses knew that this baby was to pass away. Nonetheless, this family desired a priesthood blessing of God. As it says in James 5: 13 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.
14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. 

I saw this little girl. She was about 3 lbs. Her head was about the size of a grapefruit. I was able to give her blessing and in the blessing it promised partial restoration of health. We left. I then remember getting in the car and Elder Rosengren earlier in our visit had read the scriptures found in Moroni 8: And I am filled with charity, which is everlasting love; wherefore, all children are alike unto me; wherefore, I love little children with a perfect love; and they are all alike and partakers of salvation.
18 For I know that God is not a partial God, neither a changeable being; but he is unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity. 

I broke down in the car as I thought about holding that child. I am so grateful for the Gospel that gives us strength through times like these. I know God loves little children. 

Brandyn Myers, one of my favorite guys out here is progressing really well. Last week he had said he wasn’t too willing to move out to get ready for his baptism. He called us on Friday night for 45 minutes talking about how he had slipped into some old habits. I recall some of the things that he told me as he was quoting to us the feelings of guilt, emptiness, and dissatisfaction he has been feeling. These feelings are very common for those who do not follow the Savior or aren’t doing what God would have them do. I remember similar feelings in my past life. He said he was tired of letting God down and he just wants to be right with him. The words of my favorite scripture were shared with him: 41 And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. 

He is ready for change. I seriously love repentance and the Atonement. I have changed so much and I have seen those changed in others. The Savior really does live and wants to forgive us! 

That’s all I got, les amo mucho :) Ciao 

Elder Mac
 
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment